by Gruber Photographers
Did you know that every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the U.S.? With this in mind, we have put together a list of fun and interesting wedding facts & traditions for your viewing pleasure.
- Today’s median age for first-time brides is 25 years. For grooms, it’s 27 years.
- The number 1 wedding city in the U.S. (and number 2 in the world) is Las Vegas with an average of 114,000
- At a national level, brides buy over 7.5 million bridal magazines per year. Brides buy 4 to 6 issues of their favorite bridal magazine. Most bridal publications are purchased from bookstores and newsstands. The “pass along” value of bridal magazines is an average of 8 to 10 people. Over 80% of all Brides and Grooms use the Internet to assist in planning some portion of their wedding.
- The average engagement in the United States lasts 15 months.
- During the engagement period, couples buy: $4 billion in furniture, $3 billion in house wares, $400 million in tableware, $19 billion is spent buying presents at wedding gift registries.
- Tuxedos are typically purchased 5-6 months after the wedding gown.
- One third of engaged couples retain a wedding consultant.
- Bridesmaids’ gowns are general purchased 3-4 months in advance of the event.
- The English believe a spider found in a wedding dress means good luck. Yikes!
- In English tradition, Wednesday is considered the “best day” to marry, although Monday is for wealth and Tuesday is for health.
- Rain on your wedding day is actually considered good luck, according to Hindu tradition!
- Peas are thrown at Czech newlyweds instead of rice.
Association of Bridal Consultants
Association for Wedding Professionals
Int’l Bridal Guide Condé Nast
Bridal Group Mediapost.com
National Bridal Service
National Vital Statistics Report, 1998
National Center for Health Statistics
Survey of Newsstand Reports, 1997
Travel Industry Association of America